Green Mountain Power crews responded quickly to Sunday’s damaging storms and made significant progress overnight restoring power to the more than 16,000 customers affected. Damage was extensive across central, eastern and northern Vermont, bringing down trees, poles and wires, and making roads inaccessible.
“Crews worked hard through the night,” said Dorothy Schnure, GMP’s corporate spokesperson. “We have fresh crews arriving this morning from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, New York State and Vermont to help us with an intense effort to restore power to the remaining customers, most of whom are in the Marshfield, St. Johnsbury and Danville areas.”
In the worst hit areas, fallen trees blocked roads, keeping crews from reaching damaged lines. GMP worked with local towns overnight to clear roads so that line workers could make electrical repairs.
Schnure explained that the remaining 4,000 customers out will be the most difficult to restore, as they experienced the most significant damage. GMP expects the majority of customers to be restored by late Monday, although repairs to areas with the greatest damage could continue into Tuesday.
Green Mountain Power began planning for this weather event on Friday, when the severe weather was predicted. The early planning ensured that Green Mountain Power forces were out early and strong in order to restore power as quickly as possible.
GMP offered the following safety advice:
- Treat any downed line as if it is live. Report the line to your local utility and fire department, stay at least 50 feet away from the line, and keep children and pets away as well.
- If using a generator, read and follow the owner’s manual before starting it. Never operate a generator inside any structure or near a structure. Use a transfer switch to ensure electricity is not accidentally fed onto a line where line crews must work.
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed as much as possible to prevent food spoilage.
- If power goes out, turn off all electrical appliances except one light so you’ll know when service returns. Then, turn equipment back on slowly. Never use grills inside garages, sheds or other buildings, as the fumes can be poisonous.