VT State Police are investigating a forced break-in to a Newfane VT residence. Police say sometimes between n 9:30 am on Jan. 22 and 6:30 pm on Jan. 25, 2013 an unknown person(s) used force to burglarize a home on Sunset Lake Road and took multiple items including power tools and computers.
Anyone with information about the crime should call Trooper Valcourt of the Vermont State Police at 802 254-2382 or the State Police Crime Information Tip Line at 802 241-5355.
The VSP want the public to be aware of what residents can do to protect themselves from becoming a victim of a break-in.
Tips on Home Security
- Light the outside of your home to make it more visible to your neighbors. Outside motion, detector lights can make it almost impossible for a burglar to enter without being seen.
- Trim bushes near doors to reduce hiding places for burglars.
- Install dead-bolt locks on all outside doors. Make sure you can unlock all doors from the inside without a key to allow a quick escape from a fire.
- Install peepholes in all outside doors.
- Don’t keep expensive jewelry, collectibles, or large amounts of cash in your home.
- Keep a list of your valuables and their serial numbers. A videotape, photograph, or sales receipts will help with insurance claims.
- Install locks on windows. All sliding doors should have “ventilation locks”. Screens and storms should be latched on the inside. Include locks on garage and basement windows.
- Don’t advertise your absence. Never leave a message on your answering machine that says you are away for a few days or on vacation. Before you leave, set timers so that lights, TVs, and radios go on and off. Have someone pick up the mail, pick up newspapers, set out trash, mow the lawn or shovel snow.
- Close your garage door. An empty garage says you’re not at home. Thieves can easily steal bikes, lawnmowers, snow blowers and other valuables. Burglars can close the garage door and take their time breaking into your home.
- Lock your car and keep valuables out of sight. Don’t store the title for your car in the glove compartment. You will need it to prove ownership if the car is stolen.
- If possible, install a garage door opener with a light. A remote opener and a lighted garage will help you enter and leave your home safely. Test the door to make sure it reverses easily when it hits something